Vision and Mission
Chesapeake Public Charter School (CPCS) will provide a rigorous, creative and diverse learning environment where everyone comes together to develop confident and self-motivated students.
Our vision is a safe and joyful atmosphere which includes compassion and respect for others, and where students become critical thinkers, life-long learners, and global citizens.
DIVERSITY EQUITY AND INCLUSION STATEMENT
The Chesapeake Charter School Alliance, and the Chesapeake Public Charter School are motivated by the understanding that students are most successful when diverse experiences, backgrounds, abilities, and interests, in our students and staff alike, are celebrated and respected. We value, strive to create and sustain a diverse environment where each member of our school family is healthy, safe, engaged, supported, and challenged, while also being heard, respected, and represented. Each CPCS student is provided with developmentally appropriate resources, supports, and interventions to foster their success while learning in a community committed to holding itself accountable for educational excellence and equity.
Our approach provides educational opportunities for the total development of each child. We will help each child grow emotionally, intellectually, socially and physically by implementing the following components:
- Project-based learning
- Small class size
- Individualized instruction
- K- 8 flexible groupings
- Integrated Thematic Instruction – World Cultures and Arts integration, Environmental Stewardship, Maryland Past and Present
- Active community involvement
- Character development
- Regular field studies
- Ernest Boyer’s Basic School approach
- CPCS will perform in the top 25% in core subjects of all charter schools and public schools authorized by our authorizer (SMCPS School Board) in years 3-6. As of year six plus, CPCS will perform in the top 10% in core subjects.
- All students at CPCS who have been enrolled in CPCS for at least one year will achieve proficiency on state exams in core subjects.
- Every student enrolled in CPCS for at least one year will achieve a year’s worth of gains in core subjects.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of the Core Virtues from The Basic School: (Honesty, Respect, Responsibility, Compassion, Self-discipline, Perseverance, Giving).
- Students will demonstrate the ability to:
- Express themselves through the arts
- Be good stewards of the environment.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of diverse cultures both locally and globally.